GOALS, OBJECTIVES, LEARNING OUTCOMES
Students are introduced to the terminology used in the field of Tourism Management and familiarize themselves with the language used in authentic texts about Tourism Management and related topics as well as with the presentation of scientific papers.
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- read and comprehend textbooks and research articles.
- be able to attend oral presentations and participate in subsequent discussions.
- write short summaries of material they have read.
- locate resources for further information in the field of their interest.
- present short papers
- communicate with colleagues
Evaluation of the acquired knowledge is based on the final written exam which takes place during the examination periods, as well as on optional assignments given during the course
COURSE CONTENT AND MATERIALS
Course materials include authentic texts on Tourism Management and articles from scientific journals. Course Content includes:
- Τourism: advantages and disadvantages
- Tourism: travelling for pleasure
- Dialogue on tourism
- Customer relations
- Guidelines for tourism of the future
- World Tourism Organization
- Tourism-key to development, prosperity and well-being
- International Tourism-key trends and outlook
- UNWTO: Tourism towards 2030
- Poverty alleviation through tourism
- Summer Holiday
- Safe Tourism
- Our rights when eating out
Tourist versus Traveller
- Docklands:the new face of tourist London
- Portmeirion in Wales
- Is eating in a restaurant a relaxing experience?
- Writing a research paper
- Jacob, M. & Strutt, P (2009). English for International Tourism, Coursebook Longman
- Mol, H. (2008) English for Tourism and Hospitality in Higher Education Studies, Coursebook, Garnet :Reading
- Hardwick, C. English for Tourism ,British Council Specialist English [online] Available here.
- Moira, P. at al, Journal of Tourism and Leisure Studies, Volume 4, Issue 4,
- Journal of Sustainable Tourism
- Journal of Travel Research
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
- Moira,P. at al, International Journal of Research in Tourism and Hospitality, Volume 1 , Issue 1 June 2015 pp9-22
- Moira, P. at al, International Journal of Research in Tourism and Hospitality, Volume 3, Issue 4, 2017, pp 14-24
- Moira, P.at al, International Journal of Research in Tourism and Hospitality, Volume 2, Issue 2,
Common Ground Research Networks, USA: University of Illinois Research Park
- A selection of topics from the LCCI Spoken English for Tourism Syllabus (at the professor’s discretion)
- Selected material from textbooks, newspaper articles, journals, brochures, advertisements, tourist information leaflets (at the professor’s discretion)
- Terzoglou, E. Reviewing English Grammar